Woodford house

e d

News

Woodford House Welcomes Deputy Principals

By | June 26, 2017

The Woodford House community warmly welcomes Deputy Principals, Stephanie Russell and Hazel Redpath, to the Senior Leadership Team.

Stephanie Russell, Deputy Principal – Student Wellbeing

ih-june2017-steph russellI am a Hawke’s Bay local and it is lovely to be back teaching in the Village. I have enjoyed recognising so many faces and meeting so many new people.

I was brought up in a teaching family in Havelock North. My parents, John and Marian Meade, have lived here and taught at Iona College and Havelock North High School for many years. My two siblings are also teachers. I am married to a sheep and beef farmer, Sam, and we have two daughters, Margot and Helena, who are weekly boarders at Iona College.

With 25 years’ teaching experience in Hamilton, Auckland, Hastings and, most recently, in Napier at Napier Girls’ High School, I am passionate about fostering critical thinkers and adaptive, confident young people armed with a sound set of skills, values and experiences. Pastoral Care and Teaching and Learning are inextricably linked:

“Fostering students’ social emotional skills not only helps them to develop the skills necessary for success in schools, such skills assist them to become more caring, responsible, and concerned citizens.” (Schonert- Reichl and Hymel, 2007)

I am relishing the strategic thinking of the Deputy Principal role and it is heartening to know that the Senior Leadership Team embodies the same values and belief that the learner is at the heart of our entire decision making.

From the moment I started at Woodford House I have been drawn to the values, tradition, forward focus and family feel of the School, and that has been borne out by the warmth of your welcome. Thank you. I look forward to meeting you if I haven’t met you already.

Hazel Redpath, Deputy Principal – Teaching and Learning

ih-june2017-hazel redpathOriginally from Scotland, I moved to New Zealand with my husband Craig and son Calum in 2005. I taught at St Margaret’s School and George Watson’s College in Edinburgh, before joining Hamilton Boys’ High where I was Director of Learning. My focus at Woodford House is to enable every girl and every member of staff to be part of a community of motivated and engaged learners where we maximise the potential of new learning environments and the opportunities they provide, while at the same time respecting and acknowledging the traditions and values of the School.

Woodford House is on the verge of some really exciting developments in girls’ education, particularly around innovation, which I am excited to be part of.

I am enjoying working in a friendly and welcoming community with great students and committed staff and boards. A particular highlight for me this term was the way in which staff and students epitomised the spirit and vision of Woodford House through their commitment to, and participation in, the Festival of Cultures.

I will be travelling to Cambridge, USA during the Term 2 break as a facilitator for the Leadership Evolving Vision programme (LEV) at Harvard University’s Graduate School of Education. I’m looking forward to sharing my Harvard experience with the staff and students at the start of Term 3.