Woodford house

e d

News

NZ Fashion Week

By | November 9, 2016

ih-nzfashionweek-1Ever since I was a young girl I have admired models. I used to be addicted to watching America’s Next Top Model programme and I think that’s what inspired me to become a model. I was signed up to Unique Model Management in Easter this year; I simply applied to them online and they asked to have an interview with me and, just like that, I was signed up.

All of the agencies in New Zealand get called up to Auckland for Fashion Week castings; there are hundreds of models there, which is intimidating. The agencies get called into a waiting room one at a time where they prepare each model to do their walk for the designers. Once you have walked, the designers decide who they want for their show.

It was really exciting being on the catwalk – I didn’t find it scary at all, I loved it. I was lucky to model for Black Eye Peach, X-plain, and Knuefermann. I was also meant to model for Stolen Girlfriends Club but unfortunately they dropped the outfit I was going to wear the day of the show. All of these designers have very different styles, but one thing they have in common is that they are all quite formal.

ih-nzfashionweek-2

I got to meet lots of models from different agencies, which was fun because I’ve only ever met models from Unique before. Everyone was so nice and encouraging. I got to meet the designers for the brands I modelled for and they were all so lovely. Danie, who won season two of New Zealand’s Next Top Model, is also signed to Unique, so I got to meet her during the fittings and shows.

Fashion Week was a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be. It did get stressful at times, but overall it was a great experience and I would love to do it again.

Hope Phillips, Year 13