Woodford house

e d

News

HB Secondary Schools Sports Awards Success

By | November 18, 2015

Congratulations to Georgia Trent on receiving the Hawke’s Bay Secondary Schools award for Student Contribution to Sport on Monday 2 November at the Municipal Theatre in Napier. Communications and Marketing Coordinator, Andrea Jackson, caught up with Georgia to find out more.

Who did you take with you to the awards ceremony and how did you celebrate your achievement?

My mum and a friend’s mum came to the awards ceremony along with the other finalists from Woodford. Mrs Peterson, Mr McIvor and Robert Miller, who is our Sports Academy mentor, also attended.

What was it like at the ceremony and how did you feel waiting for the awards to be announced?

I was getting more and more nervous in anticipation for the award to be announced. I am so proud and humbled to win the NZ Couriers Student Contribution to Sport because I have worked hard all year in service to sport. I have played my part in improving sport for the girls at Woodford to make it as enjoyable as possible!

How have you contributed to sport at Woodford House?

I have been involved in various aspects of sport at Woodford since coming here in 2012. I have been part of team and individual sports every year. During 2015, I became co-captain of the Junior Premier Netball team. Our team won our grade this year, which was a great achievement and proved that hard work pays off. I also achieved Netball Letters and began umpiring Saturday netball with weekly coaching. I was selected to attend a development umpiring course in the holidays, which helped me to gain my Centre Umpire Award and become a qualified umpire.

I am Head of Strength and Conditioning, and attend this twice a week. This role has helped me to gain a position on the Sports Council for 2015 and to achieve Bronze Sports Leadership. I am a member of the Woodford Sports Academy, which I believe has played a huge part in my recent sporting and academic successes. The Sports Academy has enabled me to surround myself with a group of like-minded people who want to achieve and lead others and we are given the support we need to develop our skills.

How do you manage your contribution to sport alongside school work?

I balance my home, school and sporting life through prioritising commitments and keeping ahead in my work. I focus in class and utilise the time available to me as I have a very busy timetable. With little spare time, I have learnt the importance of rest to perform at my peak on the court and in class. I am focussed and determined to achieve my best in everything I do.

Georgia Trent, Year 10

ih-nov2015-georgiatrent