Woodford house

e d

News

World Cup Fever and Sports Round-up

By | June 17, 2015

Over the past few weeks I have had the privilege of working with the Nigerian football team as their Team Liaison Officer for the FIFA under 20 Football World Cup, an amazing experience of culture, determination and sporting excellence.

FIFA Under 20 World Cup

After a lengthy application process and training which started back in October 2014 it was great to finally get into action. From touch down to departure I was responsible for ensuring the team met all of the expectations from FIFA and that the LOC (Local Organising Committee) met all of the expectations of the team.

ih_sport2_june2015ih_sport3_june2015

Based in New Plymouth for our group matches I lived and moved with the team everywhere whilst dealing with a range of basic tasks and issues which tended to go from waking up until bedtime. From team training to hospital visits to press conferences to the matches themselves I have experienced a great insight into professional sport. My experience ended in Christchurch last week when the team were knocked out by Germany in the second round. I look forward to sharing my experiences further with staff and students over the next few weeks.

A special thank you to the Board of Trustees for supporting me on this adventure.

Woodford Sports Round-up

ECNISS Cross Country – Gisborne

Junior Girls – 2nd Ginny Gibbs

Senior Girls – 2nd Eva Goodisson

Junior 3 Person Team –  3rd Ginny Gibbs / Monique Way / Katie McNeill

Senior 3 Person Team – 2nd Eva Goodisson / Jessica Norris / Olivia Ward

Senior 6 Person Team –  1st  Eva Goodisson / Jessica Norris / Olivia Ward / Ruby Hansen / Jessie McNeil / Holly McIlldowie

HBSS Orienteering Long Distance Champs

Year 7/8 Girls – 1st Phoebe Burns, 2nd Tessa Burns

Int Girls – 4th Monique Way

HBSS Orienteering Sprint Distance Champs

Year 7/8 Girls – 1st Tessa Burns,   4th Phoebe Burns

Int Girls – 2nd Monique Way

Mr Chris McIvor, Director of Sport